Re: [opensuse-kde3] pasting password into KDE3 applications
  • From: Patrick Serru <patrik@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 17:34:11 -0500
Le mercredi 21 octobre 2015, Istvan Gabor a écrit :
Hello:

I use openSUSE 12.2 with KDE 3.5.10. I am testing different KDE3 ftp
clients, KFTP, KFTPGrabber, KuFTP. None of them let me paste the password
for ftp login in their connections windows, which makes me think that this
is a KDE3, not an applications 'issue'. As the password I have to type is
something like "a8shgeyrtsd84befc" typing it in is not a solution. How can
I enable pasting of passwords? This restriction is ridicolous. I don't want
to use KDE password manager (KDE wallet?).

Thanks,

Istvan
-------------------
Hello Istvan,

1st remark : I invite you to use konqueror as ftp client. It works very well
for me (Oss 13.2, and did as well with Oss 12.2 previously used). Konqueror
can eventually need Kwallet for passwords storage.

2nd remark: there are two clipboard, in some ways, in KDE3. The first almost
always available with keyboard shortcuts ^ C ^ V, and the original Unix, a
little arranged to be more usable than the original: "selection of words by
mouse click" to copy, and click on the "central mouse button" to paste. The
central mouse click can (was !!!) eventually be emulated, if the wheel is
physically missing, with two simultaneous click on right AND left buttons.
This simulation also helps preventing accidental "pasting" (in the text of
your editor, for example) while you use the wheel to inspect the text.

Note that if you use Klipper (a marvelous clipboard manager), your
password,
will be clearly readable once in the clipboard, whatever the method to copy
it. I am not sure that the "life time" of the clipboard datas stored by
Klipper are the same, depending of the way they have been copied.

I hope that these remarks had been usefull.

Patrick