Re: [opensuse-kde3] 11.4 -> 13.1 update - good job Ilya/All
  • From: "Ilya Chernykh" <anixxsus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2014 05:53:06 +0400

GOOD JOB WITH KDE3 ON 13.1 ILYA! (and the rest of the contributors).

P.S. - Why is there no way to install KDE3 during initial install? I mean you can install LXDE, icewm, XFCE, minimum X, KDE or Gnome, but not KDE3?? I know this was a political issue in the 11.0 days, but now that we have a reasonably supported KDE3, why can't it be added to the installer? I mean if we offer LXDE on install, why the hell not KDE3? Haven't we grown up since the political KDE4 or nothing days of 11.X? Who would need to make the call in opensuse?

I tried to make a KDE3 pattern, but met with an objection from Stephen Kulow on the grounds
that the pattern may confuse the KDE4 users. Also there was an apprehension that the KDE3 and KDE4 patterns may
not work well together so that some KDE3 packages could contaminate KDE4 installation.

Nevertheless, I made the pattern and put it into the KDE:KDE3 repository (it is used for 1-click install from this page: http://en.opensuse.org/KDE3 ).

Regarding the installation option, I think the pattern is a pre-requisite for that, but it is not enough, someone should do the continuous installation testing.
That said, there are KDE3 LiveDVDs in Suse Studio that allow installation option.