Re: [opensuse-kde3] Ideas for new NetworkManager frontend
On Tuesday 20 Nov 2012 20:30:48 Serghei Amelian wrote:
On Tuesday 20 November 2012 20:17:05 Ilya Chernykh wrote:
On Tuesday 20 November 2012 22:03:28 Serghei Amelian wrote:
Unfortunately it does not connect to the wi-fi networks under 12.2
although it lists the networks well. Possibly it only needs minor
corrections. Also it requires hal...

I don't like very much the interface of old knetworkmanager.
However,
because developing of new knetworkmanager will take some time, I
will
try to adapt it to be compatibile with NM 0.9.

Would be wonderful.

Well, updating the old KNM to NM 0.9 seems a big PITA :) Very complicate
design, almost incomprehensible. I'm still trying, anyway.

The basic patch that makes it built is already in openSUSE:

https://build.opensuse.org/package/view_file?expand=1&file=nm-0_9-compatib

lity.patch&package=knetworkmanager-kde3&project=KDE%3AKDE3

Well, I made it buildable already (and even more, like to use new
introspection files). The problem is to understand how it's working, to make
necessary corrections.

This is why I did a complete rewrite of it for KDE 4. It was written by a
kernel C hacker, I just tried to make it work, not leak memory and be
relatively sane. The code is unmaintainable.

If I were you I'd scrap any code derived from the NM 0.7/0.8 based KDE3
knetworkmanager and backport the dbus code (IIRC, the KDE 3 dbus bindings are
copied from Qt 4's so this should be simple) and the config dialogs from KDE 4
knetworkmanager. There are no big differences to KDE 3 programming style
there. Then I would write a new tray app as frontend. You don't need a
connection settings service with NM 0.9 as NM itself stores the connections,
and the tray app should intercept receive any local secret request signals and
return those from KWallet.

Will
--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Board, Booster, KDE Developer
(AG Nürnberg)