Re: [opensuse-kde3] openSUSE 12.1 with KDE3 and KDE4 applications
On Friday 13 July 2012 14:03:58 Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
Hi!

I am about to install openSUSE 12.1 on a laptop. I want to use it mainly
(or entirely) with the KDE3 desktop but I still want to be able to run
KDE4 applications under KDE3. In the past, I have done this with openSUSE
11.3 and 11.4. During installation of 11.3 and 11.4, I selected KDE4 as
the default desktop. Then I added the KDE:KDE3 repository and installed
all the packages to properly run KDE3 following more or less the
recommendations given here:

HOW-TO: KDE 3.5 on 11.4

This has worked perfectly and I was even able to use the oxygen theme in
KDE3. For example, okular and vlc came with the nice oxygen theme even
when running under KDE3.

My question is: Is this procedure going to work also with openSUSE 12.1 or
is there anything in particular I have to pay attention to?

Thanks!

Gianluca

You absolutely can do this.

I have opensuse 12.1 running kde4 and I'm running my favourite KDE3 programs,
including kdepim3 and konqueror.

I do the following:

Install 12.1 KDE4.

Do all the online updates. Do all the multimedia updates. Install the KDE3
repo. Add the KDE3 desktop via the one-click install.

Temporarily set the laptop to boot KDE3 by changing the lines in display
manager and window manager by editing the /etc/sysconfig file in Yast.

Boot into KDE3 and set all the KDE preferences - including, for example web
browser. Make sure the KDE3 programs are there in the start menus. I put them
in favourites, too.

Reset the display and window manager back to KDE4. Reboot.

Now my laptop has all the latest Opensuse 12.1 Updates, and the KDE3 programs
I want. I can also install either KDE3 or KDE4 programs and run them just
fine.

Bob.

--
Bob Smits <bob@xxxxxxxxx>