Re: [opensuse-kde3] Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE:KDE3 issues
  • From: Ilya Chernykh <neptunia@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 14:39:01 +0400
On Wednesday 01 September 2010 14:23:55 Will Stephenson wrote:

- It seems that some packages were disabled for Factory. Namely,
kdemultimedia3 and anything related to Beagle. Please tell me the actual
reason or the disabling. I can add to KDE:KDE3 repository any libraries
needed for the build. For example, I can restore kdemultimedi3. Or are
there any other reasons for the disabling? Beagle in particular is
essential for finding topics in KDE help system.

Beagle is gone from 11.3 as already stated. Use Recoll, Strigi or Tracker.
The integration points with khelpcenter are only scripts so it should not
be too much work.

In that case it is too difficult for me. Would be nice if someone could take a
look at those scripts.

- I am planning to add some soft dependencies to some basic KDE packages
to improve user's experience. For example, it would be good in my view if
kdebase3-workplace recommended kde3-knemo and desktoptext-config.
Also some plugins may be recommended. Please tell me if this is against
OpenSUSE packaging policy.

The openSUSE way would be to define these extra packages in patterns in the
KDE:KDE3 project and provide one click install links to these. Adding them
to kdebase3-workspace is excessive - this should only contain 'upstream'
recommendations - and will force users who don't want these packages but
don't know how to prevent Recommends from being installed to have them.

The patterns in Yast are complete mess. You can find many KDE4 apps
under KDE3 patterns and vice versa, KDE3 packages under KDE4 patterns.

Also I do not know where they are defined, my bug-reports were closed as
won'tfix

- I have long-range plans to include Qt3-based versions of Yast2,
VirtualBox and Firefox. If somebody has experience in compiling Firefox
for Qt3, any help welcome.

I would avoid reanimating more zombies than you can handle. With the
security risks I mentioned before, and the integration issues you will face
with newer versions of openSUSE (HAL being removed, NetworkManager changes,
k3b+wodim/cdrecord, sound systems changes, removed sax2 requires a randr
tool in the user session, and so on) you are going to have your work cut
out to keep up anyway.

NM is not really necessary as we have Yast. At least I do not use it.

A realistic and harmonious y to make your work widely available is to
produce an openSUSE respin image as we are doing for KDE 4.5.1, using
either OBS or SUSE Studio. See KDE:Medias/kde-reloaded in the OBS for an
example.

Sorry I do not know how to do it.

- Besides this one can consider including KDE:KDE3 repository in the list
of community repositories along with the Education repo etc so a user
could be able to install the full version of KDE3 from the community
repo.

No comment - talk to opensuse-community.org about this, they maintain this
list.

I meant the community repositories list in Yast.