Re: [opensuse-kde] our goals for 12.3
  • From: todd rme <toddrme2178@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2012 10:56:16 +0200
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 4:45 PM, Mathias Homann
<Mathias.Homann@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 15:59:26 schrieb Markus:
Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 14:42:29 schrieb Will Stephenson:
Kopete is also a humunguous mess, contains kcm modules, and additionally
is
unmaintained.

I think he means that KTP is (IMO needlessly) spread over a big number of
packages.

no, i mean they are a dependency mess:

the package that contains the kcm module that is used to add IM accounts
requires libpurple, but the package that contains the parts for videocalls
requires a gstreamer module that is incompatible with libpurple... how can
that even happen with two subpackages that are being built from the same spec
file?

This problem only exists in openSUSE 12.1. The problem is that
openSUSE 12.1 shipped versions of key libraries, like some gstreamer
parts, that are below the minimum version needed to get ktp working.
I included updated versions of the packages in KDE:Extra and that
worked fine. However, a later update to one of those packages
introduced conflicts with others. I am hesitant to pull in the entire
purple stack as well. I will probably just disable the call ui for
openSUSE 12.1

And the packages are not built from the same spec file, ktp ships each
module as a separate tarball so they are all built separately.

add to that the fact that the names of the packages do not tell the average
user which ones to install to get a working messenger solution,

It really shouldn't matter. If someone wants the call ui, they
install that and it should automatically pull in what it needs. If
someone wants to use filetransfers, they install that module and get
what they need. We could have a pattern that pulls in all the
packages, but that isn't really a fundamental limitation.

-Todd