Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
  • From: Rajko <rmatov101@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 13:45:59 -0500
On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:13:27 +0200
Nico Kruber <nico.kruber@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm not sure if copies of all installed rpms are stored on disk, but
at least after the last step, the old rpm can be deleted

Default is not to keep rpm files, but as I can find some in older
installation with a lot of updates, it seems that it keeps last
version for delta rpm process.

General default can be changed, but it is:
* not obvious how to do that,
* not advertised as an option to save bandwidth.
Majority of users will leave default. Even those that can profit from
smaller downloads, like people with ISPs that sell metered connection
with download caps.

(One good thing out of this discussion is that I'll update
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Installation group of articles with this)

You must have a very slow computer and a very fast broadband
connection not to benefit from delta rpms for packages over a certain
size.

As you state, it is all relative to what you have, so besides sure
gain eg. saving SUSE some money that can be used elsewhere, there is no
good approach for everybody.

I assumed that "burdened with 500 megs of updates every 2-4 weeks"
means traffic - anyway,

It means discomfort:
* Lower bandwidth left for other activities,
* Servicing package management application requests:
licenses, solving package selection problems, broken network
connection problems, etc.
so it is good to avoid it in order to get more users aboard.

used space on the HDD should be rather
constant after having the package installed once

Right, although from my perspective HDD is not worth to think about.
Some people are sensitive on size of installation, but that is either
memory leftover from old times when HDD was a limitation, or special
needs installation on a small media. Neither is relevant to mainstream
use cases that Martin mentioned.

Nico

--
Regards, Rajko.