Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
Tirsdag den 18. september 2012 20:14:00 skrev Sven Burmeister:
Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 16:56:37 schrieb Martin Schlander:
Does that imply you also want to ship KRxx as official updates to the
distribution?

Meaning that every casual non-KDE fanboy user - including my mother -
would
be burdened with 500 megs of updates every 2-4 weeks with regressions and
changed behaviour - unless of course the user stops using openSUSE and/or
KDE.

This would only be true if updates would be forced on users. Yet as they are
optional it is every users' choice to update or not. openSUSE would just
change the default from "hardly any updates at all because nobody
backports" to "regular bugfix releases".

You can lock one or two packages, after that it becomes unmanagable. And you
might as well fight with the regressions as fighting against the updates - or
just switch to an OS that intends to let you be productive.

Same old, same old killer argument about regressions. When was the last one

I for one lost ffmpegthumbnail support in Dolphin with the 4.8.5 update which
is rather annoying, and cost me at least 30 minutes of troubleshooting. KWin
(Aurorae) had some bad ones very recently causing a flood of support queries in
#kde and #suse. Also I guess you have some filter which hides all the e-mails
to this list starting with "After the last update..." or similar.

And it's not just the fact that upstream code always has some regressions -
big or small - there's also the packaging level with dependency issues and
other packaging bugs.

and what did it take to fix it?

It's already too late at this point.