Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 20:37:04 schrieb Sven Burmeister:
Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 16:38:23 schrieb Luca Beltrame:
In data martedì 18 settembre 2012 15:12:18, Raymond Wooninck ha scritto:
As Sven indicated I also have my doubts if KDE:Distro:Stable is really
being used by anybody. It just contains the KDE version that was shipped
with the

Working with stats in my day job, I ask: can we get some numbers out of
usage of KDS versus KRxy? That would probably help in making a decision.

AFAIK there are only download numbers and nobody really knows what they
mean, i.e. they could depend on the number of updates in a repo rather than
its number of users, certainly the number of packages etc.

The only thing I would boldly state from those numbers is that KUA is _very_
popular and hence indicates that people do want updates that openSUSE does
not offer in their official update repo. KUA has only a small number of
packages compared to other KDE repos. So if one would divide the number of
downloads by the number of packages (assuming there is a relation), its
usage would become even more impressive. KUA is part of the community repo
list, i.e. easy to add. I wonder were KRxy usage would be if it was as easy
to add as KUA.

27966773 KDE:Extra::openSUSE_12.1
21854756 KDE:UpdatedApps::openSUSE_12.1
2485050 KDE:Extra::openSUSE_11.4
2560126 KDE:Release:48::openSUSE_12.1
2127425 KDE:Release:49::openSUSE_12.1
2124572 KDE:Release:49::openSUSE_12.2
2026886 KDE:Extra::openSUSE_12.2
1870427 KDE:UpdatedApps::openSUSE_11.4
1625850 KDE:Distro:Stable::openSUSE_12.1
1569690 KDE:Release:47::openSUSE_12.1
1263681 KDE:Extra::KDE_Release_48_openSUSE_12.1
1119764 KDE:UpdatedApps::openSUSE_12.2
827931 KDE:Distro:Factory::openSUSE_12.1

I personally think that the great usage of UpdatedApps comes from the fact
that people want to use some newer releases of some applications but don't
want to risk or don't neat a newer release of the Desktop enviroment.
(Maybe this assumption is drawn form the fact that I started like this to use
non-official repos.)
However looking at a IMHO typical user, who uses
-Firefox for the web
-Thunderbird for emails
there is probably not much reason to update the SC, but he still may wish to
have a newer amarok or kile.

Christian