Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
In data martedì 18 settembre 2012 20:37:04, Sven Burmeister ha scritto:

http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Statistics might help to estimate the number
of potential users.

I'll try to take a look.

.0 maybe – but since users are free to chose when to update/upgrade they can
wait until e.g. 12.3 gets KDE 4.10.2 or even until it gets to .4.

Yes you are right, but snags can potentially enter even point releases (see
the KWin regression). Note: I'm not advocating "not doing anything, think of
the regressions", but objectively it's one side of the coin we have to take
into account.

This is something upstream has to take part. Either upstream complains about
users reporting old bugs because of using old KDE versions or they

That's what I'm trying to do at the KDE forums, actually. SInce 4.6 we have
dedicated "beta" forums which I or the other staff members open when the first
beta hits the mirrors and close when the final release is out.
Unfortunately the last two iterations yielded poor participation: that's why I
wanted stuff like a liveCD for betas so that they could be easily tested (and
yes, I encourage everyone who's testing betas to use those forums when they're
open ;)

Some KDE developers do hang quite often around the forums: the Telepathy guys,
the Calligra people and the KWin people are particularly active on that
regard. So I think there's some potential for upstream-downstream
communication there.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter