Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
  • From: Sven Burmeister <sven.burmeister@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 20:14 +0200
Am Dienstag, 18. September 2012, 16:56:37 schrieb Martin Schlander:
Does that imply you also want to ship KRxx as official updates to the
distribution?

Meaning that every casual non-KDE fanboy user - including my mother - would
be burdened with 500 megs of updates every 2-4 weeks with regressions and
changed behaviour - unless of course the user stops using openSUSE and/or
KDE.

This would only be true if updates would be forced on users. Yet as they are
optional it is every users' choice to update or not. openSUSE would just
change the default from "hardly any updates at all because nobody backports"
to "regular bugfix releases".

Same old, same old killer argument about regressions. When was the last one
and what did it take to fix it? I remember nvidia. What else? 12.1 never got
kdepim 4.7.4 and probably never will. That is a real issue and burden which
would not have happened if that killer argument was not used to fight away the
community effort to offer bugfix releases.

Or does it mean you don't want to have a place to test official KDE patches
at all?

You assume that there are patches and you assume that those are tested. My
claim: if anything is put in there it is either never shipped or shipped some
time after it was put in there. Check 12.1's history.

Sven