Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
  • From: Luca Beltrame <einar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 16:38:23 +0200
In data martedì 18 settembre 2012 15:12:18, Raymond Wooninck ha scritto:

As Sven indicated I also have my doubts if KDE:Distro:Stable is really being
used by anybody. It just contains the KDE version that was shipped with the

Working with stats in my day job, I ask: can we get some numbers out of usage
of KDS versus KRxy? That would probably help in making a decision.

release. However if we start utilizing the KR:xy repo's correctly and keep
them up-to- date with the monthly minor releases, then KDF doesn't require
to be build against the 11.4, 12.1, 12.2 repo's. KDF could just be build

I think this is a very good idea. I think the message that should come out
from KDF is: it's used to hack on the KDE for the next oS iteration, including
but not limited to packaging adjustments etc.

So for 12.3 we should already now indicate whether we target KDE 4.10 or
KDE 4.9.5. Then we eliminate the discussions just before the feature

As part of upstream, I think it's not just a discussion of simply "newer but
untested" and "older but tested". I say so because on the KDE Forums we have a
fair share of Debian users which are locked on "prehistoric" versions and
suffer bugs that are long fixed upstream.
On the other hand, of course, there may be rough edges in a newer release that
may be unnecessarily pushed onto users.

So, to go more practical, once the schedule is out, my rundown would be:

- What does 4.10 bring to the user? (me, Alin and Raymond run off the latest
git, so we would be able to tell, I guess)
- Are the new features compelling for it being 4.10?
- Are there any known regressions?

If we could get Live CDs out of KUSC when the betas (KDE betas) start to
appear, we could have more of the interested parties here to check the new
upstream release for evaluation as well.

Thoughts?

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter