Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
On Tuesday 18 September 2012 14:27:58 Luca Beltrame wrote:

Thus, I'd argue for cooperation of everyone with their limited time rather
than pointing out the differences in employment status and supposed devoted
time vs leisure time: united we stand, divided we fall.

Together with Luca, I want to pull the emergency break on this discussion. It
seems that this type of heated discussions are becoming a common thing on the
opensuse mailinglists and I rather see that we spend this time on something
usefull.

After reading the full discussion I believe that both Sven and Will brought in
some good points.

As Sven indicated I also have my doubts if KDE:Distro:Stable is really being
used by anybody. It just contains the KDE version that was shipped with the
latest openSUSE version and then compiled for all the supported openSUSE
version. I doubt that this is really a maintained repo and I would rather see
that this repo is replaced with one of the KR:xy repo.

The usage of KDF is out of the question for me. This IS and WILL ALWAYS be the
development repo to support the KDE version in the next openSUSE release.
However if we start utilizing the KR:xy repo's correctly and keep them up-to-
date with the monthly minor releases, then KDF doesn't require to be build
against the 11.4, 12.1, 12.2 repo's. KDF could just be build against Factory
as that this is the one that matters. However as a process we should establish
that once the new openSUSE release is announced, we as the community team
should indicate what our target is for the KDE release. So for 12.3 we should
already now indicate whether we target KDE 4.10 or KDE 4.9.5. Then we
eliminate the discussions just before the feature freeze, but have them
already early in the process.

KUSC has always been the repo where we look forward to the next release of
KDE. With it's weekly snapshots it is possible to follow closely the
developments on the new KDE Release, but also to react when new packages are
defined or when existing packages are split in multiple (last example the move
of KDEGAMES to git and being split into about 15 separate packages).

Sven is right that people will always tend to spend their time on the
area/repo that they are using as that changes there directly affects them. So
we should utilize this and make it work for us, instead of seeing it as a bad
thing. Maybe it would also be a good idea to assign a kind of coordinator per
repo ? (e.g. One for KDF, one for KUSC and one for the KRxy repo's).

I know that I haven't been a big help in the area of KDF maintenance, but as
Luca indicated all the volunteers have only a certain amount of time that they
can spend. I have been focussing on Plymouth and Chromium for 12.2 and tried
to keep KUSC as up-to-date as possible,

Let's been supportive of eachother !! In the past the KDE community team
managed to accomplish a lotand it would be a real shame to see this go to
waste.

Raymond