Re: openSUSE KDE team (was Re: [opensuse-kde] Missing package/update in KDF)
Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 19:54:41 schrieb Will Stephenson:
On Monday 17 Sep 2012 19:38:19 Martin Schlander wrote:
The challenge is just to make anyone care about KDS for the two month
freeze period every eight (12?) months. Of course caring about KDS would
also imply caring about what's best for the openSUSE project, the openSUSE
distribution, KDE and end users more than version numbers, so it's an
uhill battle.

Indeed. Either it stays the way it is now, shifting repos a bit here and there
will not change anything, then participation will stay the same. The same for
KDS, KDF and KRxy (if it's not just links).

Or "what's best for the openSUSE x" changes. As noted many times I disagree
that KDS is best for end users but a relict from the SuSE times when a paid
KDE team existed and had to care about backporting etc. IMO upstream bugfix
releases are best for end users.

Should only be one month according to the original 12.2 cycle:
http://turing.suse.de/~coolo/opensuse_12.2/
And unless that period straddles an upstream .y release, it should be the
same cherrypicking upstream patches work that KR49 will be doing anyway.
So not so much different from just tracking upstream.

It is different because you have to care about cherry picking for KDS on top
of working within KDF or KRxy, update links etc. People could have contributed
(and probably did) to KDS via SRs in the past. I do not see a reason why
contributions to that repo would suddenly increase. You can try to force
contributors to work on KDS, either morally pointing to the users who want the
so called "rock solid openSUSE" or by doing away with repos, but I doubt that
people will change their habits since they picked them for a reason.

Say 12.3 will be released in March with 4.10, there would be very little
time to test 4.10 if 4.10beta wasn't allowed in KDF.

I expect the release schedule and overall strategy for 12.3 will change
following the discussions on -project and at osc. But if it hypothetically
didn't, comparing the 4.9 and 4.10 schedules
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.9_Release_Schedule
http://techbase.kde.org/Schedules/KDE4/4.10_Release_Schedule
the overlap between 4.10 beta 1 (the first one we could put in KDF) and
4.9.4 (final) is 2 1/2 weeks. We could delink KR49 early, around Nov 15,
and then update to 4.9.4 directly in KR49 (the amount of changes by then is
going to be modest), other suggestions? I suspect by then Sven will start
finding the new stuff in 4.10 branch interesting to work on.

I don't understand this. If I understood Martin correctly he asks about
testing 4.10 before it gets shipped as part of the openSUSE release. And I
guess he fears that there will be bugs because of the immature 4.10. Hence
there is a risk in shipping that KDE version with the 12.3 openSUSE release.

This means that either backporting all sorts of stuff is needed (won't happen
IMHO) or only major bugs are fixed until the following upstream bugfix release
and the latter is shipped as normal update to openSUSE users. In the latter
case users who think that whatever KDE version was shipped with openSUSE is
not stable enough simply wait until the more stable KDE release is available
via the update repo.

To sum-up: I would have to agree that shipping 4.10 with 12.3 is not a very
good idea with the current philosophy of "openSUSE stable". Only if all
upstream bugfix releases are shipped as official updates it makes sense to
ship an immature 4.10.0 instead of a mature 4.9.4/5.

Sven