Re: [opensuse-kde] Could not start process pop3
On Saturday 08 Sep 2012 01:05:31 Bob S wrote:
Presently runnning 12.1 with KDE3 and 12.2 with KDE4.9
However. in 12.2 I am runniong Kmail 1.9 becauae od the Kmail2
problems.

I copied pver all of the swttings from 12.1 to 12.2 (both being Kmail 1,9)
Kmail will not fetch mail in 12.2 with the message "cpild not start process
pop3. What am I missing? Setting are both the same in both distros.

I seem to remember a posting about a change in a script or something
which disabled something about kmail 2??

Please excuse any typos; Can;t see very well amymore.

The POP3 ioslave used by KMail 1.9 is in the KDE3 package kdebase3-runtime, so
it won't be affected by KDE 4.

I think the posting you remember (although I don't recall a specific one
myself) would have referred to the Akonadi migrator enabled with KDE 4.6,
which disabled old kresource API based addressbook and contact resources as
they were migrated to Akonadi resources. However, POP3 access before Akonadi
used ioslaves, not kresources, so this migration did not affect it.

You can use the following technique to see if kdeinit complains when the slave
fails to start. You don't need to go as far as attaching gdb, since it
appears the slave process just dies.

http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/Debugging/Debugging_IOSlaves

NB use "pop3" as the ioslave to watch, and the example instructions refer to
KDE 4, so s/kdeinit4/kdeinit/.

Please follow up on the kde3 list though, they may have more suggestions.

Will
--
Will Stephenson, openSUSE Board, Booster, KDE Developer
(AG Nürnberg)