Re: [opensuse-kde] Could not start process pop3
  • From: dh <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 11:45:10 -0700
but you see, I do not have an issue with kmail on KDE3, It runs just
fine
there. The issue is running it on KDE4.9. Ergo this is probably the
correct list. Maybe you didnlt read or understand my posting for help,

I understand that you are using unmaintained and hence unsupported
software and you are mixing it with KDE4. And you wonder why you get into
trouble with that.

Or to put it differently, running KDE3's kmail in KDE4 is not supported.
If it works, that's fine, if not ask those that provided the unmaintained
software to you -> opensuse-kde3.

So tell me, when 4.9 says It cannot start process pop3, what does it
mean and how do I fix it?

By not using unmaintained software. It's as simple as that.

Sven

"By not using unmaintained software. It's as simple as that." answers "How
do I fix it?" but not"What does it mean?" Knowing what an error message means
is an important part of understanding how things work. Unfortunately I
cannot answer that question either.

Sven is definitely a greater authority than myself on this (or most any
other) subject, but after spending days fighting to move from the kmail1
system to an often aggravating kmail2 (which I am sure will continue to
improve) I can completely understand the desire to stick with what works.

I am not sure of the specifics, but I strongly suspect the messages you are
receiving are related to akonadi. Running kde4 w/out akonadi is like
listening to the a high end stereo w/ earplugs, you will miss much of the
benefits. But who am I to tell you what is best for your needs.

If I was committed to using kmail1 on kde4, then I would disable/uninstall
as many akonadi/nepomuk related packages as possible. Then I would disable
whatever cannot be uninstalled due to dependencies. I would also be sure
that all of the kdepim resources were all of the same version.
Whether you choose to try this is your call (and responsibility)

BTW, I finally made the move to kmail2 in June because I recognized that the
migration tools were not going to improve any further, (and I have no skill
to improve them unfortunately). For (openSUSE) kde users kmail1 is a dead
end. Most other new distributions will also not support it at all in the
near future, so migrating now will save future frustration. The only
reliable way to stick with kmail1 at this point is to choose not to take
advantage of the benefits received by upgrading, and to choose a distro
oriented towards LTS releases.

(I would also point out that migration to thunderbird is probably not worth
considering either according to recent statements from the mozilla
foundation)

see ya
dh