Re: [opensuse-kde] logout/shutdown dialog screen corruption bug
Problem solved. I found this in dmesg after installing NVidia v304 driver:

NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.

Setting the kernel command line to use text mode solved the problem.
(but now I have an ugly low res terminal on 1-6. oh well.)

-johnm