Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE 4.6.0 sys tray icons so ugly
  • From: C <smaug42@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2011 19:07:25 +0100
On Sat, Feb 5, 2011 at 17:21, todd rme wrote:
As I said in the last discussion on this, it is defined by your plasma
theme.  Just find a plasma theme that has colored icons.

Just for clarity, I'm happy with the default monochrome systray icons,
and I'm not looking to change them on my KDE4 installs.

When you (todd) said the icons are theme related (I guess I missed it
in the last discussion) I thought I'd try to find a theme that had
color icons. I just now installed 26 new themes (using Configure
Desktop > Workspace Appearance > Desktop Theme > Get New Themes). Out
of those 26 themes I installed, exactly zero had color systray icons.
One, called Opaquity, had different icons that were slightly more grey
than the default icons... that's the closest I found (in my random
sample of new and top rated themes for KDE4) to a theme with "color"
icons. In fact, this (Opaquity) is the only theme I found so far that
actually changed the default icons in any way.

So.. given that highly unscientific test, I can understand why people
who want color icons are spinning their proverbial wheels on this
topic over and over. Finding a theme with color icons is not a simple
case of "just install a different theme"... what theme should we be
suggesting? We cannot fob the users off with a "solution" that, while
most likely technically correct, is essentially useless to them.

I just tried an additional 8 themes (so a total of 34 themes piked at
random)... still not one that changed the colors of the systray icons.

C.