Re: [opensuse-kde] High Memory Usage in 11.1- KDE 4.2.3
  • From: Anshul Jain <anshulajain@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 14:43:35 +0530
On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sunday 17 of May 2009, Anshul Jain wrote:
I had a chance to install the latest and greatest Opensuse 11.1 on my
Thinkpad R61i yesterday. I have 1 GB of RAM and Intel Graphics Driver
945GM. I noticed that it takes a huge amount of memory at boot of
around 300MB (measured through htop and free -m) w/o any applications
on. I have turned off all necessary services like cups, avahi,
bluetooth etc, autostart disabled in /usr/share/autostart for
non-necessary services...still the high memory usage. I have all of
the latest updates for KDE 4.2.3 and Qt 4.5.1 applied.

Now Opensuse 11.0 had a far far less memory footprint of approx
170-180MB at boot w/ the same settings as above. Can someone help on
why would KDE 4.2.3 in 11.1 and 11.0 show such a huge difference in
memory footprint?

 One possible and very likely answer is that you are just not measuring
properly, since it's very non-trivial to measure memory usage on Linux and
99.9% people get it wrong. See http://ktown.kde.org/~seli/memory/ .

 If you are sure your numbers are right, then the easiest option would be
finding out what uses that memory.

PS: It is possible to get Exmap from home:/llunak:/mix repo, but it crashes on
64bit for an unknown reason.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer

Yes, you're right...measuring memory under Linux is not an easy task
since it involves a ton of parameters. Now what did surprise me was
the difference in memory usage between 11.0 and 11.1 using the *same*
utility, i.e. htop. I can understand htop being a ways off in its
measurement...but a delta measurement between 11.0 and 11.1 should be
atleast some indicator...right?

I tried to narrow down the specific app that consumed memory...and
didn't see anything going out of control. X, kded, plasma, krunner etc
used pretty much the same amount of memory as they did in
11.0...except that the overall usage was considerably higher. Maybe
its the kernel? I wouldn't know...just guessing thats all.

-Anshul