Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE 4.2.3 on 11.1 login problem
  • From: Martin Schlander <martin.schlander@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 16:08:58 +0200
Mandag den 11. maj 2009 15:10:55 skrev Matthew Gibbs:
During an attempted upgrade to KDE 4.2.3 from KDE 4.2.2 KDE broke. As it
was upgrading, something occurred that caused KDE to not recognize
commands...like if I hit ALT+F2 and entered a command it would give an
error. Additionally, Yast2 starting giving errors like "could not mount
/var/adm/packagename/blah" or something to that effect. I also could not
log in to a tty. A reboot (and finishing the upgrade) seemed to fix
everything...except KDE. I can log in to IceWM, but if I try to log in to
KDE it starts to log in and then the X server resets. Does anyone have any
ideas on how to start troubleshooting this? I can post any logs that are
requested.

A good first step for troubleshooting is trying to log in with a new user.

If it works for the new user, the user settings of the old user are broken. If
it doesn't work for the new user either, then your installation is broken
systemwide for some reason.