Re: [suse-kde] Camera and fob fight to the death
  • From: J Sloan <joe@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 May 2006 11:35:39 -0700

Gracia M. Littauer wrote:
>> I end up rebooting a lot (more than Windows now) because so many
>> (four or five) things automatically start up every time the camera is
>> connected
>
> Why do you connect the camera to computer? It wastes your camera's
> battery & is unnecessary?? Use a card reader.

That may be so - but there is indeed something wrong there. I hook up my
camera fairly often to store pictures on my hard drive. with 9.3 and 10.0, I
usually close the kde popup that appears when I plug in the camera, and start
gtkam instead. I've never had any problem with anything freezing.

On 10.1 I've been using gnome+xgl out of curiosity, and when I plug in the
camera f-spot pops up and allows me to see all the pictures. As before, gtkam
can also be used to examine or store the pictures and to delete them from the
camera.

elefino -

Sounds like your camera issues are symptoms of a deeper problem with your
setup. The fact that you *ever* had to reboot is a sure sign. since it's not
something you'd normally do in linux.

I wouldn't be surprised if there were some sort of kernel panic messages in
the system logs. If you can see them in dmesg or /var/log/messages, that would
provide some clues about what is happening. Alternatively, there could be
error messages in .xession-errors, if it's a user-level issue.

Speaking of which, suse 10.0 comes with kde 3.4.2 - where did the upgrade come
from? Was there any problem with the camera on the original version of kde?