Re: [suse-kde] "Nice" users?
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 18:11:11 -0800

---------snip----------

> I donĀ“t know right now how to distinguish between active/inactive
> users and how to set their nice values appropiately, but you can
> assign nice level values on a per user basis at
> /etc/security/limits.conf So you could set a higher nice value to
> the user who often rips CDs etc. in order to allow a more
> responsive work for other users.
>
> Another, maybe better idea would be to use "sudo" so you can
> change the nice level as a normal user. By the way, this is not a
> KDE issue, maybe you should ask this again at the
> suse-security@xxxxxxxx list to get more answers on this.

I guess maybe I'll try to format a suggestion for implementation in
kde4. It seems that if a user actually uses the kde "switch user"
menu item (rather than the ctrl+alt+f... hotkey) then a mechanism
could be implemented to raise the old users nice value at the same
time. Of cource reducing it when switching back is where the
problems will occur.

I'll look into /etc/security/limits.conf as a possible work around
for the time being.

Thanks for the pointers.

--
dh