Re: [suse-kde] "Nice" users?
  • From: David Herman <mesamoo115@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 19:19:54 -0800
On Tuesday 17 January 2006 8:42 am, Alvin Beach wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 January 2006 12:34, David Herman wrote:
> > In my case it is a family computer w/ 1 physical monitor and
> > keyboard but 3 users logged in on diferent virtual terminals,
>
> Out of curiosity, how did you solve the sound problem? Or did
> you?
>
> When I switch users, the sound is disabled. I assume it's some
> sort of permission thing on artsd?

It's been a long time since I did the sound setup on my machine. I'm
sure there is a more appropriate method that someone could point
out but this is (what I believe) is doing the trick for me. I'd be
glad to hear any better (less ugly) method

In /etc/profile.local I added the following lines

chmod 666 /dev/dsp0
chmod 666 /dev/dsp1
chmod 666 /dev/dsp2
chmod 666 /dev/dsp3

chmod 666 /dev/snd/*
chmod 666 /dev/admmidi*
chmod 666 /dev/adsp*
chmod 666 /dev/amidi*
chmod 666 /dev/audio*

I'm sure some readers are whincing right now, my settings are
probably overkill, but they seam to work

All we use sound for is Amarok and system notifications so I don't
know if my sound (microphone, etc) inputs work or not, but at least
all users can listen to music.

I have noticed that the sound volume in my login changes after
logging in my wife or daughter but this can be adjusted again using
kmix.

I've also added similar lines so that all users can access our
scanner.

Suse 9.2, kde3.5 Alsa 1.0.10 kernel 2.6.12-rc2 Soundblaster live 5.1
card.

Hope this is useful

--
dh