Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ha (30 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ha] ext4 failure on cluster
On 2014-08-15T14:29:46, steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We are amazed that obviously knowledgeable engineers are questioning the
availability advantages of a 2 node cluster that keeps us all working
over a single file server which doesn't if it fails! But OK, we'll scrap
this idea.

No, nobody did question the availability advantage. Just the performance
benefits of going active/active.

And in your scenario, using a traditional fail-over setup like drbd +
ext4 (or XFS) is a much better choice compared to drbd (pri/pri) +
OCFS2.

We have a mix of 80 linux and xp computers, some of which are over 10
years old. Our file servers are second hand computers which a bank were
throwing out. We want to keep working. We have €150 and 2 old AMD
computers. What do you recommend?

Doing this with this hardware is okay, that can definitely help with
availability.

Regards,
Lars

--