Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ha (30 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ha] ext4 failure on cluster
On Fri, 2014-08-15 at 13:20 +0200, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
On 2014-08-14T18:02:05, steve <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

1. Where our single ext4 file server is predictable under load (it just
gets slower), with both nodes up, why does the cluster fail so badly
under ext4 but absolutely screams under ocfs2? The strange thing is that
the clustered ext4 actually performs better when only one node is up.
ext4 cannot be concurrently mounted on multiple nodes.
Hi.
Other setups use it:
http://sigterm.sh/2014/02/highly-available-nfs-cluster-on-debian-wheezy/

But that's not what they are doing. They are only mounting it once; with
drbd (in normal configuration) it's only possible to write to the device
once anyway, so no-concurrent mount would be possible anyway.

Ok, I see: they are using fail over only? Presumably they will have only
one node up at a time. Is that what you term local file system? Or is
that something else? It's as clear as mud over here, sorry!

In our case, we have drbd primary:primary with the data mounted on both
nodes at the same time. Is it that configuration which cashes ext4? With
ocfs2, it's fine. It still works though, even if we disable one of the
nodes. We have only old hardware so it would be pointless having ext4
nodes with only one active at a time: we may as well go back to our
single file server.

Thanks for your time,
L x