Mailinglist Archive: opensuse-ha (4 mails)

< Previous Next >
Re: [opensuse-ha] drbd and heartbeat (or others)
  • From: Per Jessen <per@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 09:29:31 +0100
Tim Serong wrote:

On 01/13/2014 08:51 PM, Per Jessen wrote:
Per Jessen wrote:

I'm setting up a pair of frontend nodes with a drbd device. The
drbd will have LVM on top and the LVs will be shared out to other
systems
(backends) via iSCSI. I'm very new to drbd, although I did play
with
it some years ago. In order to make a node the primary, it seems I
need heartbeat (or something else) to manage it? Presumably I can
also add the lvm commands somehwere.

The drbd website recommends pacemaker, which says it is built on
corosync or heartbeat. My question is - this seems like quite a bit
of work for just making sure one node is the primary, is there no
simple approach?

I should add, the applications on the frontends have failover via
round-robin DNS, so no action needed there.

If you want your DRBD resources to automatically fail over from one
node to another, you want to use Pacemaker. If you're happy manually
stopping LVM, manually bringing up another node as primary etc. using
the CLI tools when you yourself notice a failure, you can probably do
so without a clustering tool like Pacemaker, but I haven't tried that
myself.

Hi Tim

no, I definitely don't want to do this manually. I just got the
impression that corosync+pacemaker is a pretty big gun for my perceived
need.

So these days, think: corosync+pacemaker for doing HA on Linux.

Okay, thanks.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (4.4°C)