Re: [opensuse-goblin] Wiki Updates : Goblin / Moblin
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Oct 2009 13:31:49 +0100
Hi Karl,

2009/10/7 Karl Fischer <kmf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
 Hi there
 I wanted to know if we should / can update the the following wiki pages :
 http://en.opensuse.org/Goblin
  and
 http://en.opensuse.org/Moblin

 in time for 11.2, with general Documentation and other resources.

 Thanks
 Karl

Most certainly! The one key thing to keep in mind is that Goblin is
the name that I cam up with, and as such is pretty much the unofficial
name. The Novell product that is being sold to the OEM partners is
being call SUSE Moblin, and to try and differentiate between the
corporate funded/supported and community powered/supported releases I
thought it best to have a separate name.

Ultimately they are one and the same, the key difference is that SUSE
Moblin is based on SLED 11 and Goblin is based on openSUSE (currently
11.1, but I am still working on getting things working on 11.2). All
the Novell employees work on both products as we feed each other, but
as there are commercial (read financial) deadlines associated with
SUSE Moblin that is where their priority is. They do however respond
very well to questions etc regarding Goblin.

Updating the wiki is on my todo list, but as I'm very busy with work
(non-openSUSE related) and also trying to get packages sorted I
haven't had time to look at it. As it is a wiki it is open to all to
edit, and if there are any questions etc, I think this list is
probably the best to air them. I would recommend concentrating on
editing http://en.opensuse.org/Goblin first and if we need to move
anything to http://en.opensuse.org/Moblin then we can do so.

I really appreciate any and all the help that people can provide.

Many thanks,

Andy

--
Andrew Wafaa