Re: [opensuse-gnome] Running Xorg non-root
Frederic Crozat writes:
Le mardi 12 janvier 2016 à 23:56 +0100, Egbert Eich a écrit :
The problem with suggests: is that IHMO we have nothing that honors
them.
There is no tool that tells you: oh, btw, here are packages that we
suggest
should be installed as well.
Recommends have this weird 'take all or nothing' setting.

Why not use a Requires for those drivers, on the suid wrapper.

This was my plan. I hope we will have the Recommends:/Suggests:
mess resolved soon so that we have tools where users can actually
view and (de)select them.

For what it worth, I've been using the xf86-input-libinput on Leap 42.1
for several weeks now and it is working great (setup is a trackball, a
integrated touchpad on Dell laptop and an external touchpad from
Logitech, which can do multi-touch..).

I bet it does for you and will do for Stefan, Michal and me as well.
All of us have a pretty standard setup. We are not using a touchscreen
or any wacom device ;p

> If the hardware still works, I suppose this is the best we have to
> offer (at least in openSUSE). From upstream bug, it's being
suggested
> that this commit can be reverted for those who want/have to, but
I'd
> prefer not to deviate. - I see how you might have different needs
in
> SLE though.

We cannot use this on SLE. At least not SLE-12. It is still too
bleeding
edge. At least for SP2.

I guess it will depend how much multitouch we want to support but those
questions are out of topic for this mailing list ;)

Right. Hint: there is no 'one thing makes everybody happy'. We may have
to offer two solutions.

> > Yeah, possibly. I'm not even sure - have we done this on TW
already?
> > Last time I've checked we hadn't.
> > IHMO we should do this there ASAP to have a good test coverage.
> >

> Great news :-) as my SR to enable automatic install of xf86-input-
> libinput a month ago was nacked. I can probably fire up a new one
some
> time tomorrow.
> We did have it as autoinstalled back in March, but at the time,
neither
> the driver nor DE's were properly ready for it. Should be quite a
> different story today (I've been using it on all my boxes since
> summer).

I'm not yet sure how to deal with this on Tumbleweed. On one side I
would like to have this as a test bed for bleeding edge things, on
the
other hand I would not want to enforce everything new on everybody.
Point is: you may want to try out new things in one area to catch
issues,
but in other areas you would like to stay more conservative. If you
have
too fight too many fires because everything is bleeding edge, you may
lose interest. I need to think about this some more and certainly
discussing
this also helps.

I guess we'll have do to the jump one day or another (IIRC, Fedora did
the jump on their latest release).

Yes, but the developers of most of this are working for RH and RH has
simplified things by dropping support for a lot of things altogether
which we still support.
They never had an fbdev fallback mode AFAIK.

I would do a phased jump:
- do a formal announcement (and even a blog post) on factory mailing
list to ask people using TW to switch their setup to xf86-input
-libinput and report behaviour changes and other bugs.

Please make it a special program: tell people what to do to participate
in this test endeavor and how to get back if it doesn't work at all.

- ask similar tests on Leap (maybe with some version bump of xf86-input
-libinput and libinput package)

Please don't do this on Leap! People there may have a different
expectation set. Let's not blur the distinction between Leap and
Tumbleweed!

- once dust settles, switch TW to xf86-input-libinput and wait for the
next wave of bug reports and potentially retract the switch, fix stuff
and switch back.

I'd rather switch the default once: give people the option to switch before
already or switch back after: personal choice - depending on needs.

- switch next Leap to it (and maybe a SLE SP)

If things look good, why not?

Cheers,
Egbert.