Re: [opensuse-gnome] black background with TW20160105
On 9 January 2016 at 17:27, Olaf Hering <olaf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 08, Dominique Leuenberger / DimStar wrote:

That does not sound intentional at all, no.. and the openQA tests show
that they have a valid background set.

openQA works with fresh installs.

It also works with upgrades, but the situation in question is a little
more complicated than that

(speaking as a former branding- package maintainer, this faux pas is
probably my fault, but I can explain)

previous versions of openSUSE used to use a dynamic wallpaper in GNOME

This wallpaper would transition from one image to another during the
day - lots of people never noticed it, it was very nice when people
did, but it was also an insane amount of work to do and often heavily
limited our options when picking new default wallpapers

So around about openSUSE 12.2 we stopped doing it. However the second
we removed the dynamic.xml in testing, we realised it caused problems
for people upgrading, resulting in a black screen

So instead we replaced the dynamic.xml with the same as the default.xml

I think it took a little bit of time before we actually set the
default.xml as the default correctly

So, what seems to have happened here is that you've upgraded your
system from a version which was using the dynamic.xml for its
wallpaper, and now the new Tumbleweed wallpaper ONLY has the default,
and not a dynamic.xml, you hit this problem

Even openQA upgrade tests will miss this as you really have to go back
a while to still be using a dynamic wallpaper as your default

Sorry :(

At least the already quoted workaround will immediately correct the
problem ensuring you have the correct default wallpaper

gsettings reset org.gnome.desktop.background picture-uri

Hope the background info helps