Re: [opensuse-gnome] High Contrast Inverse (was: Should we allow Hibernation in 12.3?)
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 22:38:50 -0600
On Sat, 2012-12-29 at 18:18 -0600, Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
Disclaimer: I don't know how the Inverse theme is written. If it is
an
identical copy of the default theme, but with colors changed, it
*will*
be a lot of work to keep it in sync with the default theme *if that is
done by hand*.

I'm on Gnome 3.6 (openSUSE 12.2), and I just turned these on:

* Magnifier / Zoom at 1.0 magnification

* White-on-black on the "Color Effects" for the magnifier.

From my uninformed viewpoint, it looks quite pleasant - dark and not
too
contrasty. The shadows under windows are a bit weird, as they turn
into
highlighted halos. It looks usable, but of course I'm not behind
Bryen's eyes :)

Bryen, how is the magnifier with inverted colors different from the
old
Inverse theme? Or what is it that makes the magnifier unusable for
you?

Federico

Federico,

In a nutshell, Magnifier inverses EVERYTHING. Including images. Just
because I am visually impaired doesn't mean I don't appreciate images
nor work with them. I work quite extensively with images as part of my
work. With magnifier inverting whole screen instead of just the
theming, I'm losing a lot of personal functionality here.

Try watching a video. :-)

And if you say, oh well, just turn off the magnifier and watch the video
in normal mode, no that doesn't work either. I'm extremely sensitive to
white areas and being in normal mode, the white areas of the screen will
overpower my ability to see the video or images in normal mode. Large
chunks of white areas on a screen will essentially be like a flashlight
in my face and I can't see anything.

Inverse theming is very different conceptually from inverse screening.
We shouldn't have to sacrifice aesthetics for functionality. It was
working just fine before.

Hope that enlightened you. :-)

Bryen