Re: [opensuse-gnome] High Contrast Inverse (was: Should we allow Hibernation in 12.3?)
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 23:38:31 -0600
On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 18:17 -0600, Michael Catanzaro wrote:
On Fri, 2012-12-28 at 13:54 -0800, Roger Luedecke wrote:
If you are willing to do the initial leg-work, I'm willing to launch a
media campaign. My blog gets pretty good circulation, and I have a
number of contacts I can leverage to draw more attention to the issue.
If you can do the work at first, I'll do my best to drum up more help.
--
Roger A. Luedecke
openSUSE Ambassador

I haven't tried the theme on 3.6 yet, but even on 3.4 there's a
noticeable quality gap between the inverse and the non-inverse themes.
=/ Still I'll see what I can do and report back in a couple of weeks.

Indeed, starting with 3.4, Inverse started to break. Just open up a
mail in Evolution and you'll see the problem. This didn't exist in
previous GNOME versions.

Inverse was removed from 3.6 altogether. Its why I haven't been able to
use 3.6 at all. I tried it, gave it my best shot, and just couldn't do
it. So I went back to a clean 3.4 installation, even with its
brokenness.

I could go back to 12.1, which is still supported by openSUSE, but at
the same time, that one's going to be out of support once the 18 month
cycle is ended.

I could file bugs against the brokenness of 3.4 Inverse, but seems
pointless if it has already been decided to drop Inverse.

There's also tons of missing icons in both high-contrast themes; that'd
be a significant chore somebody (else) would have to tackle for a
quality user experience.

Meg Ford did the high contrast icons, and I do commend her for her work.
You can always reach out to her to discuss your observations in more
detail.

As for your earlier question about pointing to the discussion of the
dropping of Inverse, I actually don't know where that specific
discussion occured. I was only told when I was discussing my
observations of 3.6 accessibility usage both on ML and in IRC, that it
was shelved due to the amount of work involved in it.

I wish I had seen the discussion before it was dropped, as I would have
jumped in and begged for it not to be dropped. But after the fact, ahh
well... too little too late I guess.

I also wonder if this is really the place to be discussing these issues
though. I'm mentioning my experience here, but at the same time,
openSUSE isn't really at fault here. It's an upstream issue. We could
certainly work together to contribute to upstream to bring back Inverse,
but any ire directed at this tragic loss in this particular forum is
well, pointless.

Bryen