Re: [opensuse-gnome] Any interest in a green Adwaita theme?
  • From: Michael Catanzaro <mike.catanzaro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 23:55:15 -0600
Hi all,

I've created a green Adwaita theme for openSUSE 12.2 and packaged it on
OBS: http://software.opensuse.org/package/gnome-themes-suse

Please note that this is the first time I've packaged anything. It
installs correctly and seems to be fine, but definitely needs to be
reviewed by an experienced maintainer.

After installing, you'll need to open Advanced Settings (Tweak Tool) and
change the GTK+ and Window themes to "AdwaitaSUSE." The green you'll see
the most of is called the "selected background color," which you get
when you highlight text (for example). It should be the same as in both
of the new KDE themes that will be appearing in 12.3. The other greens
were picked by myself to look good next to that color.

Please let me know what you think! There's an issue tracker on GitHub
listing a few minor problems that I already know about:
https://github.com/Catanzaro/gnome-themes-suse

This package includes:

- GTK2 theme (Clearlooks-style)
- Light GTK 3.4 theme
- Dark GTK 3.4 theme
- Metacity theme

A. Currently the themes are only usable on GNOME 3.4. My next step
will be to update these themes for GTK 3.6 and submit them to
the GNOME Factory devel project. I expect the update to be
fairly simple, since this theme hews closely to upstream.

The package does not include:

- a GNOME shell theme
- an icon theme

I'm going to (try) to make a companion GNOME Shell theme, since that is
still (very) noticeably blue.

Regarding the icon set - I'd like to float the idea of bringing back the
folder icons from the Sonar theme. My GTK theme looks good with either
set of icons, so this is definitely optional, but the Sonar folder icons
would add one last touch of integration and polish to distinguish us
from other GNOME distros. These folders also look very close to
upstream, so they fit in perfectly with what the theme is designed to
accomplish. This is mostly only noticeable in Nautilus.

Adwaita folders: http://paste.opensuse.org/47584204
Close-up: http://paste.opensuse.org/85083911

Sonar folders: http://paste.opensuse.org/37217040
Close-up: http://paste.opensuse.org/1868902

So there it is. There's clearly more work left, but I hope this can be
considered for becoming a default in openSUSE 12.3 or in 13.1. Hope I
haven't done anything too terribly wrong with it. :-)

Thanks,

Michael Catanzaro