Re: [opensuse-gnome] Any interest in a green Adwaita theme?
  • From: Michael Catanzaro <mike.catanzaro@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 08:06:13 -0600
On Mon, 2012-12-03 at 09:42 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Several people have been interested in something like this, so it's not
crazy. I guess it could happen for 12.3. Note that you'll want to make
sure the gtk2 theme is also green.

(I'm personally happy with the upstream blue :-))

I haven't worked as much on the gtk2 theme *yet*, since at the moment
I'm on 12.2 with GNOME 3.4 and that theme's been completely reworked for
3.6. But it was actually way easier than the gtk3 theme - I only had to
change one color in one place. In contrast, gtk3 Adwaita uses a lot of
slightly different blues, so my theme still has blue elements in odd
places. :-(

There's actually three that would need to be maintained in tandem -
gtk2, gtk3-light, and gtk3-dark. And in general themes get broken
completely every update. As a familiar example, we probably should not
have shipped Sonar in the 12.2 repos - it might have been awesome in
GNOME 3.2 (judging from screenshots), but it looks terrible in 3.4, and
the author stopped maintaining it precisely because it gets broken every
six months. But most themes are also significant works of effort. What
Richard and I proposed is just changing a few blues to greens, which is
really simple. When new blue things pop up, it shouldn't be too hard
fix. My 60% done version only took an hour.

Honestly - I might be able to maintain this, but since it's not ready
yet, surely won't work in Factory, I've never even run Factory before,
etc. etc. I don't want to commit to that quite yet. But I'll get in
touch with Richard and share what I've done.