De: Michael Dinon [mdinon@xxxxxxxxx]
Enviado: quarta-feira, 19 de Setembro de 2012 2:43
Para: opensuse-gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Assunto: Re: [opensuse-gnome] Why do you use openSUSE for GNOME?

On Fri, Sep 14, 2012 at 9:29 AM, Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Le samedi 08 septembre 2012, à 11:53 -0700, Michael Dinon a écrit :
Hi All,

I am running GNOME on Fedora right now as I have recently become a big
fan of the GNOME desktop. I am curious at giving GNOME a go with
openSUSE. What would you say are the best reasons to use GNOME with
openSUSE? Also it looks like from what I read the openSUSE GNOME team
plans to have a repo for 12.2 users to upgrade to 3.6, does the team
try to do that for all GNOME releases that fall outside of the
openSUSE release schedule?

Haven't replied to this earlier, sorry.

I would say the advantages of openSUSE compared to Fedora is that we
have a system that is usually more stable (in the development version,
at least -- I hear rawhide is pretty wild) and that we nearly always
backport new versions of GNOME to the latest stable version of openSUSE,
which is pretty cool.

If you only compare the GNOME integration: both Fedora and openSUSE are
using a nearly-vanilla GNOME, so there's no big difference there.

That being said, Fedora is a nice distro too :-) (I love that they're
pushing the latest technologies, for instance -- that is part of what
explains some of the rawhide issues)

Thank you for the reply. Back-porting major Gnome releases to the
stable release when those release cycles don't match up is very
exciting. Right now after bumping around different DE's I am finding
Gnome to be the most exciting for me so getting the newest Gnome
quickly is a key selling point.

I don't use Rawhide, but I take it from your comment that Factory is
more stable. Has newer Gnome releases in openSUSE typically been
back-ported to stable quicker than being made available in Tumbleweed?

As for vanilla Gnome I know in the past openSUSE would ship with the
Slab menu and custom themes like sonar. Do you see the Gnome
packagers for openSUSE sticking with vanilla/upstream or are there any
plans to put a openSUSE-specific theme or customization on the
desktop?

--
Mike