Re: [opensuse-gnome] Default 11.4 background and theming
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 07:16:16 -0500
On Tue, 2010-12-21 at 12:09 +0100, Vincent Untz wrote:
Le mardi 21 décembre 2010, à 11:35 +0100, Vincent Untz a écrit :
I think that covers most opinions that were raised. I'm explicitly not
telling who said what, because I'll likely misquote people ;-)
And now my personal opinion.
Let me first ignore the background :-)
With GNOME 3, there is a real effort to build a theme (called Adwaita)
that upstream wants to see adopted by distributions. And our beloved
jimmac is working on it. As we don't have anybody seriously working on a
GNOME theme anymore, it feels easier for us to stay with Sonar for 11.4
and switch to the upstream theme afterwards. Note that we can't switch
to Adwaita now as it's not complete yet, and it's really more targetted
at GNOME 3.
For the background... I don't know exactly how to feel:
- I'm not happy with us adopting a variation of a KDE background, as
it can easily give the feeling that GNOME is a second-class citizen
in openSUSE, and that openSUSE is a KDE distro.

Just my 1.5 cents: as a long-time GNOME user with a fairly strong
distaste for KDE (and the ceaseless, endless, long-winded rantings of
KDE users)... I'm just fine with a KDE derived background. If it looks
nice - it is just a background, an image. I wouldn't feel slighted at
all; I probably wouldn't even know.

<ASIDE>I thought openSUSE was/is a KDE distro?! But one with an
excellent GNOME implementation; so I'm happy. It has, IMO, the best
implementation of just about everything. KDE is the default desktop in
the installer - openSUSE is a KDE distro. I'm certain if I asked around
my fellows every single one of them would say: openSUSE is a KDE
distro.</ASIDE>