Re: [opensuse-gnome] Evaluating GNOME related features
  • From: "Sankar P" <psankar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 04:08:37 -0700
Whatever.

What I showed in my screenshots is what someone installing Ubuntu[1]
sees after installation (except, of course, before, as I did, adding the
applications to the Launchpad on the top panel).

However, the desktop/workspace is "clean" - as my first screen shot shows.

What you showed in your screenshot is something contrived and
manipulated, something which has to be "fiddled with" to achieve and
requiring know-how as to how to achieve this from other users of oS
Gnome - such as yourself.

There is nothing wrong with this, but we are talking here about
attracting Ubuntu users, for example, to oS, right?

And what they first see is quite important, wouldn't you agree?

Yes. Who said it is not ?

The image you showed is not something shown as a default screenshot of a
Gnome desktop/workspace in oS.

A somewhat similar default screen for openSUSE is:
http://ostatic.com/files/images/800px-os110beta1-gnome0.png (if you use
Evolution)

My earlier screenshot was just to show you can customize things.

The default screen - the basic one which appears in my my first
screenshot - is what people would expect when changing over from Ubuntu
to oS.

You proposed two things:

-> Different main menu: Which I explained is oldstyle and we have a better
menu. Anyways, gnome-shell is going to be the future default UI (not for 11.4)
My screenshot was just to show the desktop can be customized if some user wants
it.

-> Clean desktop: I personally believe having access to home folder and
removable drives on desktop is more user-friendly for most users. If you have
strong opinions about clean desktop, please file a feature request. Or as I
suggested in my previous mail, please raise it as a pet-peeve.

At least this is my conviction.

What openSUSE wants to do to attract Ubuntu users is totally up to openSUSE.

All I did was make some comments (from an Ubuntu user's point of view,
and who used openSUSE since version 7 [in KDE format]. Nevertheless,
there will be other Ubuntu users who will disagree with what I stated.
This is of no concern to me. I am not the one who has to market openSUSE
Gnome to the rest of the world).

I don't understand what makes you so Grumpy. Your suggestions are heard,
respected and also replied. We welcome more suggestions as well, but just do
not expect everything to be implemented, unless you can prove they are
essential. Have fun :-)

[1] MintLinux is based on Ubuntu. You will also see same when you
install UltimateEdition - except that you will see a much prettier and
attention grabbing presentation of what Gnome could look like.

openSUSE is not the ultimate "ants pants" in this world of Gnome
oriented desktops in the Linux world. But I would like to hope that it
would be.

Thanks.

Sankar
P.S:My last mail to this thread.