Re: [opensuse-gnome] Evaluating GNOME related features
  • From: Nelson Marques <nmo.marques@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 00:03:07 +0000
From my time in #banshee IRC, it's too early to tell what the Banshee
release in Ubuntu will look like.  They're trying to slim it down
right now, so some community extensions may be missing in Ubuntu.
Other than that, core functionality will be the same including music &
video playback, podcasts, last.fm support, iPod support, etc.

Good thing, as long as we offer more functionality that's good for us.
We better wait a bit and check what is really happening.

The only other thing I'm personally watching is if they change the
Amazon referral codes.

I don't know if Banshee is somewhere I'd put my focus on.  Yes, we had

Banshee is in a way the most representative 'face' of Multimedia
capabilities in openSUSE GNOME, so I trully think that it should be
something that we as 'openSUSE' should have some highlighting. On the
other hand, since it's product associated with Novell, I think that it
even makes a stronger argument.

Banshee first, I get that. We should be thinking about our GNOME user
experience vs. Unity, in my opinion.  There are lots of rumblings in

I would strongly suggest cooperation between openSUSE and GNOME
Marketing teams to develop this concept of experience with
gnome-shell. In fact we could pretty much work with other
distributions like Fedora for this approach and give it a more uniform
statement cross-projects about gnome-shell. We should all be UNITED on
this one.

At least between GNOME and openSUSE I would risk to say it would be an
awesome experience (marketing wise) to work together on this.

the community that people who prefer GNOME are switching to Debian and
Fedora - how do we capitalize on that?

This I don't understand... could you elaborate? Who is swapping to
Fedora and why? our users? or Ubuntu users... This is very interesting
Paul, please provide more info, because if that is the case (even if
it's a rumor), it's also an opportunity for us and we can benefit from
it directly and indirectly.

Nelson

PS: A bit off-topic, in the scope of openSUSE Project, like I stated
before, having Unity available for our users on a repo would enable
our users to test it and see it without vendor change. If there are no
legal entanglements and someone want to place some work on that
happening could be interesting to openSUSE as a vertical defense
method to keep our local population/users happy and not risk them with
a vendor change for some crazy hype thingie. Just one of my concerns.

Paul