Re: [opensuse-gnome] Reviewing the release cycle of openSUSE 11.3 / GNOME Team
  • From: Atri Bhattacharya <badshah400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 16:27:18 +0530
On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 11:02 +0200, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
Dear openSUSE GNOME interested users / contributors.

Yet, we should try to step back for a few minutes, trying to analyze what we
did right in this cycle, what went wrong, what do we want to repeat and
what certainly has to be avoided.

Firstly, thanks to all those who worked on 11.3 and specifically on
GNOME. GNOME on 11.3 has turned out really great for me.

What has fascinated me:-
1. Great KMS+GDM integration. Really did not know if it would work well,
and was sceptical about it, but it has really made the switch from the
bootsplash to GDM much quicker and pretty on my ATI chipset, without the
need for proprietary drivers too (albeit with a black screen transition,
but not a big issue).
2. Super quick GDM to Desktop transition. This is a big improvement over
11.2 for me. The login to the desktop is quick - just hit the enter, and
there you are! Together 1 and 2 have greatly improved the boot up
experience.
3. Banshee - no clarification required :)
4. Excellent theming (after sonar-icon-theme installation) and great
default selection of games, screensavers and so on.
5. Tracker works just fine!
6. Of course the new yast2-gtk.

Could have been better:-
1. Getting sonar-icon-theme by default, and changing the menu
categorisation for the better that happened only too late for inclusion
2. Okay this bug 617651, and this one 615659, introduced late late into
the release cycle due to Xorg stack changes (but that fixed two other
bugs, so I guess that sort of evens out?).
3. Lack of IRC meetings throughout the release cycle.

Can we have a meeting very early in the release cycle for 11.4 and
decide on what to focus? Having a definite release goal would surely
help.

Bye.
--
Atri