Re: [opensuse-gnome] Reviewing the release cycle of openSUSE 11.3 / GNOME Team
  • From: Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 01:44:25 +0530
On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Stephen Shaw <sshaw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 12:31, Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Dominique Leuenberger
<Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dear openSUSE GNOME interested users / contributors.

openSUSE 11.3 has landed and in a unstoppable effort, development on the
next release has certainly already started.

Yet, we should try to step back for a few minutes, trying to analyze what
we did right in this cycle, what went wrong, what do we want to repeat and
what certainly has to be avoided.

I think, from my point of view, we managed pretty well during the entire
cycle to stay up-to-date with upstream development and packages were almost
up-to-date the same day GNOME Upstream had a release.

We had some very valuable bug reports coming in, but on those I'm afraid a
big bunch started only coming in during RC phase, which was very difficult
for to get all of them addressed in time.

Organizational, I would have to say though that we, the gnome team, were
lousy in keeping up to any outlined schedule for meetings. Shame on us on
this one! I'm sure having those regularly could make it easier for
not-yet-contributors to jump in, having a decent starting point. Also, I
feel we're
lacking a up-to-date ToDo list, which we could also hand out to willing
contributors to catch up with us (there are several application / packaging
requests in openFATE of course... but not everybody wants to do packaging).

So, let's rumble, let's get all the feelings, good and bad out, let's learn
from our mistakes and let's keep the good behaviour we developed for the
next release.

Good:
+ We did lots of testing (when compared with say 10.3/11.0 release)
even though it started late, atleast imo.
+ Obsoleting GTK 1.x, HAL.
+ Moving away from beagle, pidgin etc.
+ Highly responsive mailing list and irc activities

Needs Improvement:
- We need to start conducting #opensuse-gnome irc meetings (awafaa
asked me to send the agenda for next meeting. so if you have any
items, do send me)
- Missed sonar-icon-theme packaging.  As sonar is the default theme, I
consider this to be bad.  Our defaults should always give an
error/warning-free first impression.
- We should try for: Number of bugs upstreamed should not exceed
Number of bugfixes/patches upstreamed.
& last-but-not-least
- There is only one booster working for GNOME. We need atleast one more ;-)

yeah, what's going on with the booster team?  Seems like it was off to
a good start and then seems to of somewhat died.  Whether that's true
or not, we lost the other gnome guy almost instantly, connect stuff
seems to have fizzed out, and there are no reports.  Not much to go
off of.  If the booster team isn't really dead, it would be nice to
know what going on since they are supposed to be dedicated to the
'community' release. (as far as I understood it).  Plus if the
community doesn't know what the boosters are working on then the
community can't help as much, not to take away from all of the work
that was done in gnome and kde.

There is a boosters m-l where they send workreports. But sadly we have
only one booster for gnome as of now.

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com