[opensuse-gnome] Reviewing the release cycle of openSUSE 11.3 / GNOME Team
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 11:02:59 +0200
Dear openSUSE GNOME interested users / contributors.

openSUSE 11.3 has landed and in a unstoppable effort, development on the next
release has certainly already started.

Yet, we should try to step back for a few minutes, trying to analyze what we
did right in this cycle, what went wrong, what do we want to repeat and
what certainly has to be avoided.

I think, from my point of view, we managed pretty well during the entire cycle
to stay up-to-date with upstream development and packages were almost
up-to-date the same day GNOME Upstream had a release.

We had some very valuable bug reports coming in, but on those I'm afraid a big
bunch started only coming in during RC phase, which was very difficult
for to get all of them addressed in time.

Organizational, I would have to say though that we, the gnome team, were lousy
in keeping up to any outlined schedule for meetings. Shame on us on
this one! I'm sure having those regularly could make it easier for
not-yet-contributors to jump in, having a decent starting point. Also, I feel
we're
lacking a up-to-date ToDo list, which we could also hand out to willing
contributors to catch up with us (there are several application / packaging
requests in openFATE of course... but not everybody wants to do packaging).

So, let's rumble, let's get all the feelings, good and bad out, let's learn
from our mistakes and let's keep the good behaviour we developed for the
next release.

Dominique