RE: [opensuse-gnome] Tomboy vs Gnote
  • From: Andrew Wafaa <awafaa@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2010 06:57:19 +0100
From: Andrew Wafaa [mailto:andrew.wafaa@xxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Andrew
Wafaa
Sent: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 10:35 PM
To: opensuse-gnome@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [opensuse-gnome] Tomboy vs Gnote

On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 22:10 +0200, Rastislav Krupanský wrote:
Hi.

I´m just wanna ask, why we have Tomboy when it consumes roughly three
times what Gnote[1] requires in terms of memory[2] and it´s slower than
Gnote? What about start thinking about replacing Tomboy by Gnote?

[1] http://live.gnome.org/Gnote
[2] http://trmanco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/gnote.png

--

I for one see no reason to replace something that works brilliantly.
Tomboy is very well featured and is under constant improvement. If you

I'm kind of getting a bit fed up with this constant "replace existing mono
app with non-mono". I'll be completely honest here, I LOVE all the mono
apps out there, I have had absolutely no problems with any of them, and
the devs are very approachable and helpful.

Rather than look at replacing something that still leads the pack with
something less featured, let's try and improve it. File bugs, test
releases etc.

Lacking some features is a true. So i´m just wondering so why Fedora replaced
Tomboy by Gnote? [1]

[1] http://osdir.com/ml/fedora-desktop/2009-04/msg00006.html

That's an easy one to answer: Fedora are very much against Mono due to
patent fears. They use Shotwell instead of f-spot too for the same
reason. They have spent a lot of time & effort in re-writing apps that
already exist.

Ratislav, sorry if this seems aggressive but in all honesty what's the
point?

Don´t worry, we´re just discussing :-)

Phew I'm glad it didn't come across the wrong way ;-)

Something as trivial and fixable as memory consumption is by no
means a reason to replace.

I´m not sure whether memory consumption is a bug and it makes sense to file a
bug against memory consumption. Isn´t it caused by mono? Is any chance to
reduce memory consumption? I´d really appreciate it on my old notebook (CPU
1,4 GHz Celeron and 768GB RAM). That´s the point in my case.

I would most certainly say it is a case for a bug. The developers may
however disagree, but they will hopefully explain the limitations.
There are cases when some apps aren't suitable and you may have to use
others; but in general we try and provide as full a featured experience
as possible. That often means using mono apps as they are the best for
function/form/etc.

Regards,

Andy

--