Re: [opensuse-gnome] Tomboy vs Gnote
  • From: Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2010 16:54:33 -0400
On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 21:35 +0100, Andrew Wafaa wrote:
On Wed, 2010-05-26 at 22:10 +0200, Rastislav Krupanský wrote:
Hi.

I´m just wanna ask, why we have Tomboy when it consumes roghly three times
what Gnote[1] requires in terms of memory[2] and it´s slower than Gnote?
What about start thinking about replacing Tomboy by Gnote?
[1] http://live.gnome.org/Gnote
[2] http://trmanco.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/gnote.png
I for one see no reason to replace something that works brilliantly.
Tomboy is very well featured and is under constant improvement. If you
feel it is badly performing then please file a bug about it.

+1

Tomboy is full-featured, stable, and fast.

I'm kind of getting a bit fed up with this constant "replace existing
mono app with non-mono". I'll be completely honest here, I LOVE all the
mono apps out there, I have had absolutely no problems with any of them,
and the devs are very approachable and helpful.

+1

Rather than look at replacing something that still leads the pack with
something less featured, let's try and improve it. File bugs, test
releases etc.

+1

Ratislav, sorry if this seems aggressive but in all honesty what's the
point? Something as trivial and fixable as memory consumption is by no
means a reason to replace.

This assumes the memory consumption arguements are legitimate [I doubt
them]. How is the memory consumption being measured? Measuring real
memory consumption on a modern OS is much harder than just looking at
"top". Also, a real comparison measures memory consumption against
features. If app X uses three times as much memory as app Y, but app X
has 10x the features... then, honestly, saying X uses 3x more than Y is
false because the unspoken clause is "to do the same thing".

Sandy and the other Tomboy devs put a crap
load of time and effort into the product, and it works brilliantly
across all seven of my machines. I can even remotely sync my Tomboy
notes across all machines and my mobile phones.

Please let's be rationale about this and look at improving rather than
just abandoning. Do that will make the product better, and show we have
a spine and soul for the whole open source game. We need to innovate
again, not become a sheep and follow others. We introduced Tomboy and
by golly we should stand by it!!

--
Adam Tauno Williams <awilliam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> LPIC-1, Novell CLA
<http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com>