[opensuse-gnome] GDM 11.2 went broken
  • From: Marco Calistri <marco.calistri@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:16:10 -0300
Dear list-memebers,

Following my latest post titled:
Re: [opensuse-gnome] 11.2 Gnome update VS STABLE:2.28,
I regrettably have to ask some guidance about recovering my GDM, since
it suddenly get broken.

Latest changes I made immediately before the broke have been:

1) Reverting from G:S:2.28 to update repo and ran a zypper dup

2) Rebooting the system by maintaining "gdm" and "gnome" respectively
into /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and /etc/sysconfig/windowmanager,
noticed very high CPU/MEM load up to 99%/50% from gconfd-2 running endlessly

3) No way to see the gdm-greeter after long await

4) As per recent logs, I believe there is something wrong with GConf or
better with policy-kit:

GConf: Did
not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did
not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the
reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.).

5) Actually the sole workaround to get the gdm greeter and Gnome desktop
is to edit /etc/sysconfig/displaymanager and changing the line "gdm"
into "kdm", doing this I can login into Gnome perfectly.

Wonder if somebody can suggest me some ways to cure to the problem.
I've also thought as last resource to uninstall completely GNOME and
install it back again.

TKS,

--
Marco Calistri <amdturion>