[opensuse-gnome] Re: [opensuse-factory] Cutting GDM dependencies
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 11:44:41 +0200
Hi,

Le lundi 24 mai 2010, à 10:57 +0200, Guido Berhoerster a écrit :
Hello,

we've recently encountered some problems with the LXDM login
manager and it has turned out that the codebase is not really
mature yet and suffers from some IMO rather fundamental quality
problems which need to be addressed upstream (see. eg
bnc#584573). It would therefore be desirable to have GDM as a
fallback for users who encounter problems with LXDM or even to
possibly switch to it as the default login manager for the 11.3
release. The problem is that GDM currently depends on most of
the Gnome desktop through its dependency on gnome-panel and
gnome-session. The indirect dependencies could be drastically
reduced by putting the libgnome-panel-2 library and the core
runtime files of gnome session in separate subpackages of
gnome-panel and gnome-session and by making gdm depend on these
subpackages only.
It is pretty late, but would it be possible to reorganize the
three packages like this?
Experimental versions of the three packages can be found in
home:gberh:gdm.

I like your changes. A few comments you should probably fix before
submitting the changes to GNOME:Factory:

General comments:
- Use a capital letter at the beginning of each item in your .changes
entries :-)

gnome-panel:
- the Requires on libpanel-applet-2-0 shouldn't be needed for
gnome-panel (it should be added automatically)
- the libpanel-applet-2-0 subpackage should have a Recommends on
gnome-panel
- you can remove the %post/%postun for the main package if they're only
about ldconfig since there's no more library there

gnome-session:
- I'm wondering if the core subpackage shouldn't also require
gnome-settings-daemon. Else, gdm will look horrible, I guess.
This might introduce more dependency fun, though.
- maybe the core subpackage should be named minimal. Not sure.
- change summary of core to "Session Manager for GNOME -- Minimal
Version" and change the summary of the main package to "Session
Manager for GNOME"
- Change description of core to something like: "This packages contain
a minimal version of gnome-session, that can be used for specific
cases. The gnome-session package is needed for a fully functional
GNOME desktop."
- put the right manpages in the right package (some should be in the
main one, others should be in core)
- I would leave gnome-session-properties in the main package
- /usr/share/gnome-session/session-properties.ui should live with
gnome-session-properties, in the main package
- /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/gnome-session-sleep.svg should
live in core
- the "%doc AUTHORS COPYING ChangeLog NEWS README" line should be in
core

gdm:
- we should probably split the applet in a subpackage too. Call it
gnome-applets-gdm, and make it have:
Supplements: packageand(%{name}:gnome-panel)

You can ping me on irc if something is unclear.

(no need to continue the thread on both opensuse-gnome and
opensuse-factory, btw: just choose one :-))

Thanks,