Re: [opensuse-gnome] GNOME Team Meeting
  • From: "Bryen M. Yunashko" <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 19:48:34 -0500
On Sun, 2010-05-16 at 22:51 +0100, Andrew Wafaa wrote:
Ladies & Germs it has been far too long since the GNOME Team actually
put their heads together and talked about what is going on in the
garden. As such regular meetings are re-starting, but with a slight
difference - it will be monthly on the 3rd Tuesday of each month at
1400UTC, for localised times please see[0].

That means the next meeting will be held this Tuesday, 18th May 2010, in
the garden (otherwise known as #opensuse-gnome on Freenode). The Agenda
is pretty simple and can be added to on the wiki[1]. For those curious
it will kind of follow the lines of:

1. openSUSE GNOME Status
1.1 Packaging
1.2 Bugs
1.3 Q & A
2. Upstream GNOME Status
2.1 What's New
2.2 Bugs
2.3 Q & A
3. General Q & A

So please come buy the garden, pull up a chair and crack a cold one
open. Join in the fun and add anything you need to the agenda.

0 -
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?day=18&month=5&year=2010&hour=14&min=0&sec=0&p1=0
1 - http://en.opensuse.org/GNOME/Meetings/20100518

I think its a smashing idea to restart meetings, and I especially like
that it will be reduced to once a month.

At the openSUSE Conference, we talked about what it was we needed to to
jumpstart interest in openSUSE-GNOME and how to get people interested in
coming to the meetings. I fear that the agenda you've laid out doesn't
address that very well.

Looking back to how I "accidentally" ended up in GNOME meetings, I saw a
meeting announcement by JPR, and I thought hmm.. Here's a chance to find
out new stuff about GNOME. I wanted to educate myself, and thought it
would be more of a presentation-style meeting. I was wrong but luckily,
I stuck around. :-) (I see a comment coming from Andy now about the
horrors now that I'm around.)

I would suggest that the meetings be thematic. Back in the beginning,
we used to invite people from different projects to come and talk about
stuff and answer questions from general users. Those meetings had some
relatively decent attendance.

Before we start talking nuts and bolts in these meetings, which
intimidate those who aren't knowledgeable in this area, we need to talk
about general interests and build from there. And who knows, you might
be able to snag a new techie out of someone who initially didn't think
he or she had what it takes to get under the hood.

Bryen