Re: [opensuse-gnome] Re: [obs submit-request 37739] GNOME:Apps/pidgin: declined by MBoman
  • From: Sandy Armstrong <sanfordarmstrong@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 13:49:35 -0700
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, 2010-05-03 at 08:39 -0700, Sandy Armstrong wrote:
On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Andreas Jaeger <aj@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Monday 03 May 2010 15:02:53 mboman@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
State of submit-request #37739 was changed by MBoman:

  new -> declined

Comment:
  Untested and not approved

Magnus, I tested it myself successfully. ;)  What do you mean with not
approved?

Since empathy will be (correct?) the default for 11.3, I'd like to discuss
the
topic with the complete team. What does this mean for moving forward?

As band-aid, we could add something to the release notes to point out to
users
the problems with empathy on Groupwise.

Is there an openSUSE bug filed for this?  I have some comments I'd
like to attach regarding various related upstream plans (the first
step of which is not too different from Andreas' patch).

Don't know if there is. We discussed this on IRC and I created the patch
after looking at the code. Feel free to send it upstream and see what
they say. What we really would like to have is an "endorsement" that the
preference key will not be used for anything else in the future, or that
they tell us the name of the key they'd prefer.

The GConf key isn't the way they want to do it; that's the only
difference. Here's something I wrote up for an internal bug a couple
of weeks ago:

<quote>
I've just talked with upstream telepathy and pidgin folks.

In the short term, they intend to modify the libpurple API to allow consumers
(like telepathy-haze) to specify that they are willing to accept bad/unknown
certificates. Then an ignore-ssl-errors parameter would be added to haze (just
like gabble has).

In the medium term, Eitan Isaacson is working on d-bus API for cert
verification, and once complete it would make sense to hook haze up to that
API.

Will Thompson, the maintainer of telepathy-haze (and an upstream pidgin
developer) has an old, unfinished pidgin branch implementing part of the
"short-term" work:
http://git.collabora.co.uk/?p=user/wjt/pidgin.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/certs

Nobody is currently working on this; Will has said he'd be very glad for any
help finishing it up.

In the meantime, the quickest fix I can think of for [openSUSE 11.3]
that is not too
different from the upstream plan is to add the minimal API to libpurple in a
way that doesn't break pidgin or finch, add the ignore-ssl-errors parameter to
haze, and make it the default in [openSUSE].
</quote>

I was hoping to have time to work on this but some priorities shifted
and I didn't have the time. I'd like to get back to it but I don't
know when that might happen.

Anyway, that is what I gleaned from talking to the relevant upstreams.

Hope this is helpful,
Sandy