Re: [opensuse-gnome] Tomboy by default?
  • From: Alan McGovern <alan.mcgovern@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 20:11:22 +0000
Apologies if anyone gets this twice, i think it was rejected the first time:

Hey,

 Personally, I use tomboy a lot. I'd use it even more if only I had a working
 synchronisation method for my laptop and work desktop.

 Now for something slightly more technical ;) The simplest way to decrease
 startup time is to AOT the mono assemblies and also the tomboy assemblies.
 This will also reduce memory usage if you have multiple mono applications
 running at the same time (banshee + tomboy anyone?) as the AOT'ed data can
 be shared exactly as if it were a standard native library.

 If someone is interested in getting some hard figures about required startup
 time they could benchmark:

 1) Cold start tomboy (nothing is AOTed)
 2) Cold start tomboy (AOT-ing all tomboy assemblies first)
 3) Cold start tomboy (AOT-ing all .NET libraries as well as tomboy libraries
 first)
 4-6) Warm start of the above.

 This is likely to be pretty time-consuming as the only way I know to
 reliably 'cold start' an application is to reboot ;) It would also require
 you to put in an "Application.Quit ()" inside tomboy so that as soon as
 everything loads, it exits, thus allowing you to easily measure the startup
 time.

 Alan.