Re: [opensuse-gnome] POLL: evince visible in application menu?
  • From: Bryen M Yunashko <suserocks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 04 Sep 2009 08:48:34 -0500
On Fri, 2009-09-04 at 15:23 +0200, Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
Hi listmates,

Every once in a while we see the request to be able to start evince (the free
pdf reader) from the application menu.
What do you think about it? Keep in mind that we also want to clean up the
start menu, not crushing down on our users when they first open it.

I've setup a small google form [1] where you can vote for it. Let's see what
all of you think about this! Of course you're also welcome to post your
thoughts here as replies. But the voting count will only happen with form
(I'm too lazy to go through mails and try to find the proper answers).

Thanks for participating,
Dominique

[1]
https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=dGYtZDBZNzBaR0EwR3pFXzNmWVZEaEE6MA..

Keep in mind that Evince is not fully accessible yet. There's a lot of
work that GNOME-A11y team and Evince developers have been doing to try
to close that gap, but it is a long ways off. In fact,
specifically .pdf reader and a11y compatibility has been a thorn in
getting Linux adopted by some government organizations.

But as a general rule of principle, I would endorse defaulting to Evince
over Acrobat Reader, in support of open source. Just that we're not
there yet.

--
Bryen Yunashko
openSUSE Board Member