Re: [opensuse-gnome] VOTE: Package DownThemAll Plugin with Firefox - [URGENT]
  • From: Sankar P <sankar.curiosity@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 17:09:05 +0530
On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Jakub 'Livio'
Rusinek<jakub.rusinek@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 01.09.2009 10:44, Sankar P wrote:

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 1:26 PM, Andreas Jaeger<aj@xxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:

On Monday 31 August 2009 19:03:23 Sankar P wrote:

Hi,

As suggested by Captain Magnus, I started this survey to see what you
people feel about installing DownThemAll plugin (a download manager)
for Firefox by default.

What I suggest to do is to bundle a couple of usefull plugins into a
separate
package - and install that one.  We should give the users the option to
remove
the complete bundle in an easy way.  And if that happens, I'm for a
default
install.  Otherwise - if it's part of the Firefox main package - I'm
against
it.

So, I voted "no" for now,

I think installing a firefox-recommended-plugins-bundle is a good
option. If that is the case, I hope your vote can be taken as a YES
for DownThemAll for such a bundle.

I believe some plugin for video-downloading, Greasemonkey,
DownThemAll, Beagle-firefox, chatzilla (and any other popular plugin
?) will make a good bundle.

However I dont know if there will be other issues bcos of packaging
the plugins as a bundle. Someone with more packaging knowledge will be
better to make that decision. Sure, it looks attractive in my opinion.

I'm personally against including such plugins as they change quick and
packagers usually don't have time to track new releases down and update
their packages.

The same applies to usual packages, but that's another story.

I'm not against creating separate package with addons. It sounds reasonable
to pack popular addons and make them easily removable, BUT...
If they appear in Firefox as unremovable then what a user is supposed to do?
Firefox should be tightly integrated with PackageKit to make possible to
tell user, that some addons are included in a package, which needs to be
removed to remove addons from the browser.

Huh, what a complicated essay.

I hope you get it.

If you wanna ship addons as package, them let user know about that where he
expects to find addon removing possibility.

Ideally, package manager GUI would contain a tab called "addons" listing all
of them from many different apps, but it's again another story.

Oh, and to find out what addons you need to package, take a look at Firefox
Addons webpage. The popular section or so. Or do... a survey.

AFAIK, firefox has a good plugin framework that automatically pulls in
updates whenever plugins receive any updates.

Also, even if we package and isntall the plugins, the user wuill be
able to disable any unwanted plugin on the first run.

So no fear :-)

--
Sankar P
http://psankar.blogspot.com