Re: [opensuse-gnome] Monsoon/Transmission, Pidgin/Empathy, Gwibber, etc.
  • From: Charles Kerr <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 00:31:43 -0500
On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 11:29 PM, Odd-rationale<oddrationale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Sat, Aug 8, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Christian Jäger <christian.jaeger@xxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi,

Am Samstag, den 08.08.2009, 23:27 +0200 schrieb Vincent Untz:

During one of the last few meetings, it was decided to move to
transmission, but the meeting was not well-attended. Luis,
what is the end word?

I didn't attend the meeting but I sure hope it's Transmission from now
on. :-)

Greets,
Chris

Wasn't one of the problem of including Transmission was
the DHT support?

According to this ticket (http://trac.transmissionbt.com/ticket/2222),
it seems that Transmission has DHT support as a compile-time
option. Does that mean if I want Transmission *with* DHT, I would
have to compile it myself or get it from a non-official repository?

As for Monsoon, it appears from the MonoTorrent blog that DHT
support would be available as an addin, but simply disabled by default
(http://monotorrent.blogspot.com/2009/05/monsoon-blowing-down-barriers.html).
This seems much simpler to me.

If it's policy to disallow DHT, wouldn't that preclude shipping
Monsoon with a "click here to enable DHT" option? On the
other hand, if that option *is* allowed and desirable to the
opensuse-gnome team, I can revisit #2222 and make DHT
a run-time option instead of a compile-time option. After all,
the entire point of #2222 was to make Transmission more
useful to SUSE and Novell.

Regardless, the compile-time DHT / no-DHT choice is available
right now in a released, supported version of Transmission.
The Monsoon blog entry says that the "addin" option for DHT
is a work in progress which will be included in a "preview release".
That blog entry is two an a half months old...

However, it is quite obvious that Monsoon is not as feature rich as
Transmission, or at lest not yet.

I really like Monsoon because I think it was quite some potential, and
that Mono technology is pretty cool! And I like Transmission because
it is lightweight and was more useful features.

I like Monsoon too, though of course I'd like to see Transmission
as the default client. A couple of months ago I did a shootout
between various BitTorrent apps, including Transmission and
Monsoon. Here are the results:

http://pastehtml.com/view/090621g11KlBWM.html

Transmission uses half the memory of Monsoon.

In the end, I am not a big torrent user and I can easily live with
either client, or install the client of my choice.

Just my thoughts. Thanks!

Thanks, Dariel

cheers,
Charles